Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Carolyn C's Personal Essay


I thought I was done writing personal essays in High School with my college applications.  Those questions were impossibly obtuse, for example: If you were to write a 400 page autobiography what would be written on page 257 or name what flower best describes your personality. Please just give me facts, give me theories to refute, in other words give me a research paper. 
I don’t think my lack of enthusiasm with writing about myself comes from a lack of insight.  On the contrary, I feel like I can articulate the inner workings of my mind very well in speech; I am awesome at interviews.  The problem arises when I try to translate my thoughts to the page.  I am suddenly struck dumb at the sight of a blank computer screen.  In High School I even attempted to dictate my essays to a voice recorder and then typing up what I had said; needless to say this resulted in very scattered essays with no concise point.
I am dreading writing about myself, dreading the creativity necessary for such an endeavour.  I have a distinct lack of creativity in most areas of my life—style, decorating, personality—I want to go into a creative industry in the future but I want to manage the “creatives” not actually be one. 
Open prompts are particularly intimidating for a non-creative such as me.  Even when writing research papers if the professor doesn’t give a clear question I will inevitably spend a few days bouncing between ideas for my thesis before settling on one based on the critical writings of others.  There is a certain amount of handholding necessary for non-creatives that creative people do not need.  “You want me to write a poem in the style of Emily Dickenson? Blurgh!” These types of projects in high school always filled me with dread whereas the creative types were always saying things like “Can we write our paper on Othello in iambic pentameter?”  I have an appreciation for the creative arts and really admire those who have imagination I just cannot seem to master the application of my own creativity.
I have always loved other people’s writing.  When I was a child I used to get in trouble for staying up past my bedtime reading by my nightlight.  I had and still have piles of books on my bed side table and keep a running list of books I would like to read at some point in my life.  In theory my extreme love of books should yield a love of writing but I’ve only had disappointment in the latter field.  I have visions of myself as a writer akin to Hemingway with a scotch and cigarette in hand at some cafe in Paris writing novels that change the face of literature.  I dream of one day being a war correspondent writing about conflicts in far off lands like Martha Gellhorn. These, however, seem to be simple pipe dreams brought on by an unhealthy attachment to made for television HBO films.
When rereading my own writing I find that it is lacking; it lacks the bravado and originality of James Joyce, the political prowess of George Orwell, the plot complexities of Charles Dickens.  I have no great philosophical backing like Ayn Rand.  My writing lacks the tragedy of Thomas Hardy’s work and Leo Tolstoy’s morality.  The humour of Oscar Wilde and the satire of Mark Twain have no bearing with my own writing.  I cannot produce a social commentary like Upton Sinclair or Jane Austen.
It is not that I have no attempted to write, I have many times. This can be observed in the piles of 2 page filled notebooks and journals that fill boxes along with my old high school essays and elementary school drawings of my mother and dog.
Sitting down to write this piece I force myself to work even though the internet begs me to search something random on Google. Thoughts pop into my head but they are hardly relevant: “Why are bullfrogs named “bull” frogs?” “What was the name of the first monkey in space?”  These are the things that come out of my creativity not any prose to rival Fitzgerald.  Eventually I force myself to turn off the wi-fi application on my computer; this only proves to be a brief deterrent to procrastination.
After staring at a blank page for a few more minutes my anxiety grows to a point where my “fight-or-flight” instinct kicks in and I choose flight.  I procrastinate some more. My Itunes library needs to be rearranged and while I am at it how about I create new playlists for different events. How about one for skiing? Done.  Excercising? Got it.  Going to the Dentist? Okay, boss. Shopping for plastic boxes at Crate and Barrell? Finished.  Finally I run out of ideas and the playlists must be abandoned.
I return to the blank page and decide that my document first needs a name. So my document is now saved as “Writing Assignment #1” and I have added my name to the top left.  It is a start at least.  After another fifteen to twenty minutes staring at the screen my eyes begin to wander.  They land on my book shelf where dust is accumulating in a layer thick enough to cover up my family’s framed Christmas card photo.  Well, this won’t do at all will it? I simply cannot work in such a dusty environment. I climb out of my chair—after saving my document of course, don’t want to lose all my hard work.  I go to the hall closet and pull out a rag and a spray bottle.
I begin to clean.  I hate cleaning. It says a lot about the essay due if I am willing to clean rather than work on it.  The situation must be desperate if I would choose this form of procrastination.
I wipe at the dust on the shelves and scrub as though trying to get Mr. Clean to erase the work that I still need to complete.
Another hour passes and it is finally midnight and I am forced to address the paper before bed.  I set myself a deadline and I will adhere to it.  I start simple by writing down simple thoughts that have popped into my head while cleaning the sink and washing the dishes.  These bullet points will serve as a guide.  Little by little I will complete this assignment because that is my only choice.  I must face my fears.  Even though my fears revolve around creative writing and not fighting a mythical dragon but at this point... I would rather fight the dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment